Friday, February 1, 2013

I’m here!


                 After many hours of air travel a couple weeks ago, my plane finally arrived at its destination shortly after midnight. I quickly felt my difference as I- one of three blonds on the entire flight- stepped off the plane and was greeted by a mass of South Asians. After passing through customs and claiming my bag, I hesitantly stepped outside of the terminal to be greeted by hundreds of people standing behind a small fence, many of them waving signs in different languages in the hopes of greeting a loved one or a business colleague. Luckily, my hosts (“Uncle”, “Auntie”, and their daughter) spotted me immediately and pushed their way to the front so we could catch a taxi back to their home.
                These past few days have been full of laughter, confusion, excitement, and incredible curiosity. I’ve spent the first ten days of my stay living with Uncle and Auntie, on the tenth floor of an apartment building. Below is a picture of the view from their home:

 
                While living with Uncle and Auntie, I’ve learned so much about both their immediate family life and the wider culture. This family has helped orient me to the basics of living in a new place: they’ve helped me navigate public transportation, given many tips on the art of bargaining, and have been patiently teaching me the fundamentals of their language. They’ve introduced me to the many new and wonderful flavors of the local cuisine with shared life stories and lots of laughter.
                One of my favorite moments of the first couple days happened while Auntie and I were riding on a rickshaw back from buying a cell phone. I turned to her, mid-traffic, and thanked her for helping me with initial shopping. Without skipping a beat, she responded with, “Of course. It is my pleasure and my duty.” “Your duty?” I wondered aloud. “Yes, my duty,” she assured me, matter of factly. “We are, after all, family.”
                In one sentence, Auntie did more to make me feel at home than any amount of official orientation could have done. She also reminded me of the reason I am here: amidst doubts about my ability to support the work of IJM this year in a culture and historical context I do not understand, I am still called to love my brothers and sisters as best I can, even if that means organizing files or making copies for twelve months.
Last week, I started my internship and met the IJM office members. All of them have struck me as wonderful people who love, think, and act well, each caring deeply about the people of South Asia caught in bonded labor. They are doing some exciting work and I am thrilled at the chance to learn about and add to their organization. This upcoming week will be my first full-time, 40-hour week with them.
In other news, have I signed a lease and have moved into a new apartment! It is safe, close to work, walking distance from shops, and is shared with two other girls who are also working in the area. Leaving Uncle and Aunty’s home is bittersweet, but I am looking forward to the process of familiarizing myself with a new area.
Where is hope this week? For me, it came during my initial orientation to the office, as I learned about the ways the work going on here relates to the broader, international goals of IJM. Click here to read about a rescue in Chennai that took place just before my departure from the States to see what I mean! It was also written in the newspapers I have read this week, which are beginning to bring to light some critical human rights issues in South Asia. Finally, the incredible hospitality of so many people as I settle in gives me hope, not just for the people of South Asia but for my experience this year.
If you pray, thank the Lord for His provision of a place to live and for smooth transitions so far. Pray for my safety in navigating a new area and for patience and grace in the process. Pray that my presence is only a help and not a burden to the IJM staff. Finally, pray that I continue to feel encouraged and connected to the wider community here, especially as I look for a church.

Thank you for the support thus far!        
Sincerely,
Alice

p.s.- Interested in supporting this year? Follow this link to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Your story about your Auntie and the cell phone is precious. I'm proud of you and thankful for the work you are/will be doing.

    ReplyDelete