Thursday, February 21, 2013

I Want To Be a Professional Intern


Before joining the IJM team in South Asia a month ago, my understanding of what this internship would look like was blurred at best. I spent the 7 months prior to this trip doing other internships and working a basic office job. My days were filled with sorting and scanning files. Or assisting with a massive audit. Or entering voter registration information into a finicky database.  Occasionally I would receive an assignment requiring some level of basic brain function; but for the most part, I spent those months listening to awesome YouTube videos and mechanically worked my way through all of the thankless tasks that fit into the blessed/cursed title of “Intern”. Given these experiences, I arrived to this office with the subconscious expectation that this year would be one of humble and inconspicuous, head-down, mouth shut, do-it-all-with-a-smile dirty work for the sake of something bigger than my dignity. Besides, that is why organizations hire interns, right?
Thank goodness my subconscious world is not reality.
In the last month, I have met with every member of the office. I have put together multiple PowerPoint presentations that have already been used by staff members. I have gotten to read lots of super interesting labor legislation and have long discussions about the complexities and implications of fighting bonded labor. I was allowed to write a proposal. I have been invited to meetings for my input, and not for my note-taking capabilities. I have had a chance to use all forms of Office and have been able to (occasionally) put my hard-earned scanner skills to use. I have had brainstorming sessions with certain departments and have been invited to help host visitors. I have been able to be a support in event planning and have been used by the Director to work with information that is confidential to the rest of the office. I have edited communications materials. I have even been able to plan Valentine’s Day activities and help with leading the morning bible study. In short, I have become a part of the team.
Typical IJM interns focus their support in one of three areas: administration, communications, or investigations. Any of those positions would be an honor to have, but since I am this office’s first intern, I get to constantly dabble. One day, I wear the Communications hat; the next day I am an administrator; the very next day I get to be a part of Government Relations. There is so much work to do in each department that every member of the office is eager to have my support.  It seems that I have been given all of the long straws in this deal.
By the time I was beginning my senior year of college, I had developed what some would call a very low view of my ability to do things like think critically or contribute in a meaningful way to any cause in the academic/public sphere. Senior year, I was blessed with a student government advisor who encouraged me to begin thinking in constructive ways about how to use my strengths, instead of constantly trying to compensate for my perceived failures. It seems simple, but making that mental shift has taken time. One of the cool things about this internship is that it allows me the space to continue trying to do just that while serving the staff at IJM. And, thankfully, the staff make space for that mental shift! Today, one of the staff told me that she has been chatting with my boss about ways to use me this year. She concluded by saying, Alice, “you have some blatant strengths that I want to harness.” That’s so cool!
Don’t get me wrong. There have been boring moments. There have been plain-flavored hours of normalcy. But it’s pretty cool to be slowly learning how to own the fact that I might (someday) have something to contribute to this big, messy world, in a way that I also find thrilling and worthwhile. My title is Administrative Intern. If this is what it means to be an intern, then I’m all in.
Where is hope? Hope is in the fact that this internship is about so much more than supporting an organization I believe in. It’s about contributing on an authentic, dynamic, all-in, and completely engaged level in order to tangibly improve the lives of real people who really need the help.
Sincerely,
            Alice

p.s.-If you pray, pray for physical health of the office members in the upcoming weeks. All but two of us have caught a nasty cold!
p.p.s.-Interested in supporting this year? Follow this link to learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Alice! The part that stands out to me: "By the time I was beginning my senior year of college, I had developed what some would call a very low view of my ability to do things like think critically or contribute in a meaningful way to any cause in the academic/public sphere."

    There is something about college, I think, that leaves us convinced of our inabilities - no matter how wonderful that college and the experience may be. I'm so glad you're able to use your talents. It sounds so interesting, and I know what you're doing is worthwhile.

    And thanks for giving something specific to pray about!

    ReplyDelete