Thursday, December 5, 2013

Big Infinities

In his novel, “The Fault in Our Stars”, John Green writes, “Some infinities are bigger than other infinities”. Between 0 and 1, there is an infinite set of numbers including .1, .01, .001, etc. In a sense, the infinity between, say, 0 and 5 may seem staggering in comparison.

It’s a bit abstract, but the concept of varying infinities is changing the way I see life in South Asia.

Our days are brimming with various infinities of all shapes and sizes, for us to perceive and to celebrate. I challenge myself to look at an orange as a piece of infinity (stick with me) and it is transformed before my eyes. What is a simple piece of fruit, is also a symbol of friendship between me and the orange-seller; it carries memories of my childhood home and of Will telling me that every piece of pulp contains enough energy to power all of New York City’s lights for a millisecond; its skin reminds me of the pores on my mom’s cheek (sorry Mom); this orange is something to be explored using every sense. And I, of all people, I get to savor it.

In this light, the beauty and awesomeness of a single piece of citrus absolutely pales in comparison to the recent activity of the IJM office where I get to work. In an earlier post, I mention a show that aired on India’s CNN-IBN, featuring released bonded laborers as they told their stories on national television. As a result, a government body called the National Rural Livelihoods Mission approached our office and asked to become a formal partner in the Bandhua 1947 Campaign, and join us to help eradicate bonded labor in specific areas of South Asia. When I came to IJM, my colleagues could have never dreamed that we would be working officially and formally with a South Asian government to combat bonded labor. These are days of learning, planning, and traveling for my colleagues, as they prepare to undertake another year of work with a new partner.

The Bonded Labour (Abolition) Act is a law that hasn’t been taken very seriously in South Asia for about thirty years. Among others, the act states that released bonded laborers are eligible to receive 20,000 INR ($?) from the government to help them rebuild their lives. Historically, no one has received full benefits. Last month, two released bonded laborers made history, receiving 20,000 from their government under the Bonded Labour (Abolition) Act to enable the beginnings of rehabilitation in these peoples’ lives.  

Release stories coming out every month (like this one), new partnerships with the government, and actual enforcement of the Bonded Labour (Abolition) Act convince me that bonded labor will end in South Asia. I watch people whom history will forget, setting the stage for a significant shift in the exploitive systems of labor in South Asia, and I see [only a fraction of] the infinite implications that the shift means for our world. And I am overwhelmed by hope.

I find myself frozen in shock, at various times throughout the week when thinking about the generosity and encouragement of you, the people who have chosen to partner with me this year. Your support has enabled me to get a glimpse of some of the tangible ways that massive work happens in the world. You have made it possible for me to be strrrrrreched in a new work environment; you have enabled me to rent an apartment and buy food at the market; you have enabled me to afford life for a year in one of the more expensive parts of South Asia.  

I look back on the past 11 months, and I am thankful.

I look forward to my final 6 months serving with IJM with hopeful anticipation. The building pressure in South Asia convinces me that there will be much to report and it will be an absolute pleasure to share those months with you.

In order to continue this work, I will need some financial support. If you are at a place to provide, and if you want to do something tangible to contribute to the work of IJM, then please choose to partner (or continue partnering) with me. The actual process is quite straightforward. Click here and press "Support an Intern/Fellow". Then select my name from the drop down menu and IJM’s giving site will direct you from there. For the sake of transparency, here is a breakdown of the cost of basic living in my corner of South Asia:

Airfare (round trip)
$1000
Rent
$195/month
Electricity, Water, Wifi
$57/month
Food
$160/month
Daily Travel
$50/month
Misc (toiletries, household cleaner, etc)
$30/month
Trash collector/ stair cleaner
$7/month

I love interning with International Justice Mission because it gives me the chance to see varying types of infinite work going on against bonded labor in South Asia. If you’re able join me, financially and prayerfully in these next 6 months as we watch bonded labor lose in South Asia. It’s going to be a good ride.

Sincerely,

Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment